Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pumpkin Bread


I love making sweet breads for the boys and freezing them. It makes it so easy to have something for healthy for snack or breakfast at a moments notice.


Since my little escapade with our fall pumpkin and the creation of 20 cups of pumpkin, I have been making a lot of pumpkin bread!
Here is the recipe I use, which I tweeked a tiny bit from the Fat Free Vegan blog.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed ( I tend to decrease the sugar)
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed well with 4 tablespoons water (2 eggs)
1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts or chocolate chips or all three!
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil loaf pan.

2. Combine the wet ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and blend well. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

3. Add the liquid mixture to the dry, and stir well.

4. You could stir in the nuts and chocolate chips or just place them on top. Our family likes them on top.

5. Pour the batter into the pan(s) and place on the center rack of oven. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean--about 60-70 minutes for one large loaf.
Enjoy!
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to give this one a try today. I love my MIL's pumpkin bread, but it's takes SO much oil! This sounds a bit more healthy.

    We love the pumpkin pancakes, but doctored them up using WW flour, and adding ground flax seed and wheat germ. Made them a bit thicker - we were already used to a 'grainy' pancake. Love the flavor!

    And the homemade granola bars are a big hit at our house too. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete