Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pasta Fagioli Soup

I mentioned this soup on FB and got a lot of request for recipe. Since I knew that I'd be making it on New Year's Day, I decided to hold off in the hopes that I'd take some great pictures of preparing it. Well....things got a little crazy with family in town and that never happened. So all I have for you are some pictures of leftovers and one happy boy eating the leftovers. Sorry about that! But I am positive that you are going to LOVE this recipe. Everyone that I have ever made it for loves it. BTW, this is recipe was passed to me by my friend Emily, a wonderful cook.

Pasta Fagioli

1 lb of ground Italian sausage (hot or mild)

1 small onion

2 tbs olive oil

2 minced garlic cloves

4 c. liquid (combination of chicken broth and water, either 1 can broth and 2 c. water or 1 qt broth)

1 can (drained) or 2 c. white beans (I use dry and freeze in two c. portions)

1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained

3/4 c. elbow macaroni or other small pasta

salt and pepper to taste

1 c. fresh spinach, cut in strips

parm cheese to taste

1. Brown and crumble sausage and set aside. (You can see my son doing this here.)

2. Saute onion in oil until tender and then add garlic for a minute or so.

3.Add liquid, beans, tomatoes, macaroni, sausage, and salt and pepper; bring to a boil.

4. Cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.

5. Add spinach. Cook a few minutes until it wilts.

6. Serve it up with parm cheese.

He LOVES this soup! Hope you do too!

From our home to yours,

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment