Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yogurt Yeast Rolls

As I mentioned in a previous post, when I go on vacation, I like to completely clean out my fridge. The week before we left for Thanksgiving vacation we ended up with a gallon of regular milk. We needed some for a cooking project for our homeschool International Fair. Unfortunately, our family does not drink regular milk, so drinking it was not an option.



So I began the search to figure out what to do with all this milk, as I don't waste ANYTHING! You can imagine my amazement when I found a recipe for making yogurt in my crockpot!!! Check it out at this great blog! There is no need to repeat the instructions here as she does a great job.


The recipe worked great and left me with about a 8 cups of yogurt. Unfortunately, my boys ended up with some sniffles and little coughs that week, meaning that giving them the yogurt was not going to happen. What was I going to do with all this yogurt! I could have frozen it, but the boys don't like frozen yogurt. And so began the second search.....


I found a recipe for Yogurt Yeast Rolls modified it. They loved the rolls and I made a ton! Most of them went into the freezer to use as a side for soups.



Anyway....all that being said, here is the modified recipe. I only made a few small changes.


Yogurt Yeast Rolls

4 to 4 1/2 c. all purpose flour (I used WW Pastry flour)
2 packages yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
2 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt (you could use soy yogurt)
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. butter or Earth Balance


1. In a large bowl whisk together 1 1/2 c. flour with the yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda.

2. Heat the yogurt, water and butter, but do not simmer.


3.Add yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and blend well.

4. Beat with a mixer (I used my kitchen aide) for about 4 minutes, gradually adding the remaining flour until you get a stiff dough.

5. Knead on a floured surface until the dough is smooth.


6. Place in a greased bowl and let rise for about 30 minutes. It should be doubled in size.



7. Punch down the dough and divide into the size rolls you want. We did some sandwich size and some dinner roll size.


8. Let rise on a greased cookie sheet for another 20 minutes or doubled in size.

9. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until brown.

10. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter.



All that from just a gallon of milk...

From our home to yours,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment