Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Slow -Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken and Beans


I know that this may not look that great, but it is always a winner in our house. My cousin was over for a playdate and said it smelled great and asked for the recipe, so here ya go Audra!

It is a winner with all the men in my life, they gobble it up!

It is a winner with me because it is filling and inexpensive to make. The recipe calls for chicken thighs, which is an inexpensive cut of meat. This is the only recipe I can get the boys to eat them in.

1 cup dried pinto beans
1 jar (11 oz.) salsa
2 tbs. flour
boneless, skinless chicken thighs (4-6)
1 medium red onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
1. In crockpot, stir together beans, salsa, flour and 1 cup water.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture.
3. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
4. Cover and cook until the meat is done. ( I am hesitant to give times on that because my crockpot cooks very fast.)
5. Remove chicken and shred and return to crockpot. Stir it up and serve.

Notes:
-today I was out of salsa and I used a small can of tomato sauce and added 1 tbs chili powder and 1 tsp. cumin. Turned out fine.
-I normally only use 4 thighs and it is enough for our family.
-My guys like it topped with sour cream, cheese, hot sauce and avocado.
-I live to serve with brown rice, corn muffins and salad.
-I often use beans right from my freezer that are already cooked.

Let me know if you give it a try!

From our home to yours,
Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Jen, our home smells so wonderful that my mouth is watering. I can't wait to try this recipe later when it's done. Thank you so much for posting it. Love you lots

    ReplyDelete