Monday, December 14, 2009

Granola Bars



I LOVE this recipe! (wish my picture was better!)


My boys are HUGE snackers. I feel like they are always looking for something to eat. This is a snack that they all like and I don't mind them eating! It is also very easy to customize to your taste.


These amounts are for a square pan, I like to double it and use a 9x13 pan.


4 tbs butter (I used Earth Balance to make it dairy free)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. honey

1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

2 c oatmeal
1 c crisped rice cereal


Combine the first three ingredients and heat it in a small saucepan. Heat until boiling and then boil for 2 minutes. When you remove from the heat add vanilla and cinnamon.


Combine oatmeal and cereal and any other add in's you'd like (ie. raisins, cranberries, coconut, chocolate chips, nuts, nut butter, etc.). I just throw in handfuls of anything I am feeling like having at the moment! In the picture above I used coconut, cranberries, and chocolate chips.


Combine the contents of the saucepan with the dry ingredients. Mix well. (I usually add the chocolate chips at the end so they don't totally melt.)


Grease your plan and fill it with the mixture, flatten and put in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Take them out and cut and enjoy! I like to store mine in the fridge so they stay hard. They are easier to eat and less messy that way.




Let me know if you give this one a try!


From our home to yours,
Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Kara made these today! HUGE HIT! Nice to know that I don't have to buy granola bars anymore. Thanks for sharing..you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked them!!! I doubled it and froze some because they go so fast!

    ReplyDelete