Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lunch time... ABC Veggie Soup!



We love soup in our house. When my oldest boys were little I used to buy Campbell's soup for them for lunch. They would split a can. Those days are long over! I would need to buy a can for each of them now.

Clearly that is not economical. Additionally, as I began to pay closer attention to ingredients, I realized it wasn't the healthiest option for my boys.


I learned that I could make a much more economical and delicious vegetable soup very easily and so that has been a lunch option for our family for the past five years.

I usually have most of the items on hand. Broth and beans are always in the freezer. I just take them out the morning I plan on making it.

It takes me about 5 minutes to throw this soup together. Just a tiny bit longer than opening a can! I put it together while the boys are transitioning to another subject and let it cook while I am teaching.

ABC Vegetable Soup

2 c. vegetable or chicken broth 1 1/2 c. water
1 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. ABC Pasta (or any small pasta)
1 1/2 c. frozen veggies
1 can or 1 1/2 chick peas
parm cheese

1.Combine broth, water, and sauce and bring to a boil.

2. Add pasta, veggies and chick peas.

3. Cook until pasta is tender.

4. Top with cheese and serve!

You can use any pasta, but my boys especially like the ABC pasta. You can find a large ABC pasta at Trader Joe's. The smaller one is harder to find. We like to play a game with it, taking turns naming things from different categories with a letter from our spoon. It is fun!

Enjoy!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment