Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Skillet Shrimp Fajtas

EarthFare has been having some amazing deals recently. If you join their Health Journey, you can get coupons for lots of free items. The coupon usually says that you have to purchase one item, which is not a problem as we always need something from the store. We have gotten FREE granola, pound of coffee, brie, fresh mozzarella, pizza dough, and TWO pounds of shrimp.

I normally don't buy shrimp because it is too expensive. So I was very excited to see this sweet deal since my husband LOVES shrimp.

Here is our most recent package of free shrimp. $12.99 worth of shrimp for FREE!!


I guess I am on a Rachael Ray kick lately because I decided to use the shrimp to make a recipe in my recent issue of her magazine, Skillet Shrimp Fajitas. It was quite easy and Chuck loved it!

Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb of shrimp (peeled, deveined, and tails removed)

1. Heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium high heat; add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. (I added some red pepper here as well)

2. Add the can of tomatoes and increase heat. Cook until the tomato juice evaporates. Remove from skillet.

3. Add the remaining olive oil (2 tbs), the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about one minute. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until pink, about 3-5 minutes. Add chopped cilantro here if you like.

We served the fajita mixture on Trader Joe's Whole Wheat tortillas with brown rice, avocados, sour cream, cheese, and hot sauce. It was really a hit with my husband!


Enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment